Tuesday, July 13, 2010

I should have called my blog Procrastinating Lizard instead of Perplexed Lizard.

I just finished stitching a couple of books that started out to be a very simple project. I was wasting time one day on YouTube when I came across a video titled Coptic Binding on Boards. I thought the method Jim was using for the coptic might be easier than the method I was used to. I also liked the idea of recycling cardboard. I had a large stack of cardboard at work that would be perfect for this type of book. Or so I thought. There was a large stack sitting in a box in the back room for a long time until I decided that it had been there too long and I still didn't have a use for it so off it went into the recycling bin. I did manage to find a couple of pieces that had recently arrived so I brought them home. I was all set to start making a very simple book for practice when I decided I need to paint them first. Of course this process took me some time, mostly because I have no room to work in my studio (that is another story that I won't get into.

Anyway I gessoed the boards first and then added some light weight spackle, imprinted a few patterns and lastly painted the boards. I already had some paper torn down for another book I was going to make but decided to paint some of the inside papers first. I usually use 4 sheets for each signature but this time I thought I would just go with 1 white, 1 painted and 1 kraft. The main reason for this was I had just enough pre torn pages for this scenario.

In the end I didn't use the coptic method from this video. Well I did to begin with but I had to take the first one I stitched apart after almost finishing the book and when I started again I just automatically started stitching from the first signature.